Wednesday, March 26, 2014

WIPs on Wednesday

For WWQD we were asked to revisit our first quilt and using that block or pattern make a new quilted item. I must admit I’d thought about making my first quilt again in lots of scrappy bits of fabric.

          oldq

I have to smile when I see this quilt. I guess you can tell it was made in the early 90’s when mauve was a popular decorating color. It was also made before quilter’s got manufacturers to see we wanted more than calico and muslin to quilt with. Although it is hand quilted the stitches are gigantic! I think the high loft batting I used had a little to do with that! It has a hanging sleeve on back and it hung proudly in the living room of my condo for years.

Well for my project I actually chose batiks, not scraps.

        Scrap Thingy's 515

        Scrap Thingy's 517

There’s lavender, blue, orange, green and yes even some mauve. This one is machine quilted and I used a nice low loft cotton/poly batting. I enjoyed the challenge and had fun making this quilt, but I still haven’t given up on the idea of a colorful scrappy one.

What have you been working on this week?

 

2 comments:

Astrid said...

I love how our skills grow through the years of trials and errors and practice.
I've finished the custom order to Canada and even finished two Christmas UFO's from last year.

Josie said...

You were right to be proud of it - I love it!