Wednesday, July 23, 2014

WIPs on Wednesday

While trying to decide how to quilt a small quilt a few weeks ago I began thinking about hand quilting and how it doesn’t mean the same thing as it did when I first started quilting.

When I started quilting in 1994 hand quilting was done with hand quilting thread and between needles. These days when people say hand quilting sometimes they mean that big pick stitch quilting with a large needle and perle cotton.

I don’t have anything against  big stitch quilting, I’ve used it and will probably do so again. I’ve seen some outstanding quilts done with it. I’m just hoping that we don’t forget to pass traditional quilting along to the next generation. It seems these days we’re in such a hurry to finish we either machine quilt or use big stitch quilting for everything. I know there are some people who although they make quilts they don’t like hand stitching one bit! I for one love it, hand stitching of all kinds, from quilting to embroidery. I find it very satisfying and always have.

I don’t think you have to choose one or the other. I think some quilts call for machine quilting while others definitely call for hand quilting or big stitch. And actually some quilts may call for all three. So what do you think?

         Blog 257

Do you now or have you ever hand quilted? What do you think about big stitch quilting, yea or nay?

7 comments:

thebutterflyquilter said...

I still hand quilt on and off. It depends on the project and where it is going, but my quilting seems to take turns in trying something new also!

Kathy Kinsella said...

I love hand stitching and I include both machine and hand stitching/embroidery on almost all my work.

paintedquilts said...

Love hand quilting but I haven't done any for a while...maybe I'll get back to it one day.

DownHome Designs said...

I love to hand quilt. I started making baby quilts about 35 years ago and always quilted them by hand, til I had so much trouble with carpal tunnel that I couldn't do it anymore. I didn't want to machine quilt them and was very busy with our 5 children, so I stopped making quilts. Since then I did try hand quilting again and learned how to hold the needle so I could do it in small doses. I'm hoping to get back to making quilts on a regular basis. I want to try big stitch. I like the look of it, but like you I want to make sure that our next generation and others beyond will know and love hand quilting.

Pamela said...

I love to hand quilt as well. It does take a LOT longer than machine quilt, but the look is so beautiful. I have to say, between hot flashes and bifocals it is more of a challenge now than when I first started quilting! I've done some Big Stitch, but prefer regular quilting thread and a between.

Twisted Sticks said...

I love both. Depends on the look I am going for. I will use the regular hand quilting stitch to accent applique or add depth and texture to a small piece.

I also love the chunky when I am doing something fun and whimsical.

I used to hand quilt large quilts but my hands don't allow for that anymore! I do love hand work of all kinds.

Astrid said...

I have never done hand quilting. I'd love to, but.... I'm not there yet, I think. :)