Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Quiltsy Cares : Stephanie Hateley of Steph's Quilts

Our featured quilter today is Stephanie Hateley of Steph's Quilts 
Stephanie lives in beautiful Port Stevens in NSW, Australia. She hopes to move to Tasmania soon.


I love quilting after 'discovering' it when I made my first quilt for my son's wedding 4 years ago. That was a queen-size quilt made using the 'quilt as you go' method on a very basic sewing machine. I was hooked and most days will find me in my sewing room making my next creation.  I seldom follow a pattern and enjoy making one of a kind quilts using a different design for each one. I love experimenting. My latest craze is making scrappy quilts and I've just finished organising all my scraps ready for the next one. My favourite scrappy quilt sold last month, so I'm now making another, this one I might keep for myself! I also love making table runners and baby quilts. I joined Quiltsy Team at the end of 2014.

Charity: Lala Salama .. the 100 Quilt Project
The aim for this project is to provide a special quilt for every child's bed in the new Bethany Kids Pediatric Wing at AIC Kijabe Hospital in Kijabe, Kenya. This hospital will serve vulnerable children all over East Africa with medical and surgical conditions, especially Spina Bifida and birth defects.
The theme for the wards is "Islands of Hope." They wanted to create a feeling of comfort, encouragement and hope in the wards with these quilts. 





I have been following the arrival
of the quilts via Facebook from all over the world. So many designs, and now they are on the beds and the children are coming in to the hospital.. It's fantastic to see my quilt on one of the beds. The first photo is of some of the quilts, mine is 3rd down on the left. The 2nd photo is of my quilt, the 3rd photo is of a ward just after it opened in January with the first patients and a quilt on every bed

Their FB page link is lalasalama100quilts/timeline
They are now trying to get another 100 quilts so that each bed has a change for when they need to be laundered.
The charity is special to me because the children are so vunerable in a poor country and now they can get help and in a bright and loving environment. Each quilt is labelled with a message of love from all over the world.  One of the doctors there is also a friend of a friend of mine at my church; they were missionaries together in Papua New Guinea for a while.  




 Guest Blogger
Carol Ann Johnston
MooseCarolQuilts 

 

2 comments:

Chris V said...

Great write up and wonderful charity!

Sally said...

Stephanie...this is a WONDERFUL color combo! Just love it and you for your generosity to a great cause!