Friday, March 22, 2019

Quiltsy Cares 3/22/19

Today's quilter to be featured is Mary Jo Loomans.  Her Etsy shop is Aunti JoJo's.   Mary Jo is from  Mukwonago, in southeastern Wisconsin.

Her charity is the Veteran's Hospital, Milwaukee, WI.  You can read her story about her donation below:

"The VA hospital is special to me because it's where I worked for 18 years after graduating from high school. I decide to work a couple of years to save money for college, but after working a couple of years I found my career. I began in a pool of administrative clerks and provided help as need in a variety of departments in the hospital. Within a year and a half I secured a position in Medical Administration working in the outpatient and Admitting departments. I stayed there and left the VA as Supervisor of Admitting, Outpatient Clinic and Compensation and Pension Departments. The VA was very good to me. I loved the care and compassion that was provided to our veterans and proud to part of it. There is a special place in my heart for the Veteran's Administration Care facilities. My grandfather and father, uncles were veterans.

 Jump to the present time: My husband and I now own and manage a Downhill Ski race team with children ages 6 to 18 at our local ski resort. It's a way we've carried on our passion for skiing and train athletes to become ski racers. A coach, named Mark, we hired a few years ago was referred to us by one of our families. They mentioned he was a Veteran of the Vietnam war and sustained a head injury while in service and experiences short-term memory problems. Most of my years at the VA was caring for our special Vietnam veterans. Mark has turned out to be our best coach ever who works with the youngest athletes on our team. He is loved by the athletes [all ages] our other coaches and parents.

 Mark also teaches art therapy sessions at the VA Hospital now helping other veterans. I approached him in December of 2018 and told him I wanted to donate this quilt to the VA Hospital and asked if he could help me make sure a female veteran received the quilt who would enjoy it for a long time. I mentioned female veteran because most of the prints in the quilt have flowers.

 Mark was thrilled to help me and took the quilt to the VA in January and told me through one of the Veteran's organizations that works with the VA Hospital the quilt was given to a female Vietnam veteran. Mission accomplished. Smiles by all.

My quilt measures: Width 42" x Length 55"
The quilt made with beautiful fabrics BY Sandy Gervais line called ZIPPITY DOO DAH for MODA fabrics. It's an "old" fabric line, but one of the first I bought years ago. Sandy Gervais is one of my favorite designers too."

Lovely quilt, and a lovely story.  Thank you, Mary Jo!

written by Pamela of PamelaQuilts.  Pamela is a founding member of the Quiltsy Team on Etsy and is currently team leader.

No comments: