Thursday, March 3, 2016

Quiltsy Cares: Beverly Sullivant of Second Sanctuary

Today’s featured Quiltsy member is Beverly Sullivant of SecondSanctuary Quilts. Beverly is from Kinnelon, NJ and the charity that she is donating to is the Lighthouse Pregnancy Resource Center, Hawthorne, NJ.

Why is your charity special to you?
My church's women's group is involved in this charity because it fell into our laps. We were having a yard sale one October day and some women from the resource center stopped by because we were selling baby and children's items. We learned a lot about how the resource center helps women have their babies and then helps them take care of the babies and begin making new lives as mothers.

What did you donate and any special details about it?
I am donating several flannel, receiving blankets as well as some small patchwork quilts I make for babies. I call the patchwork quilts Li'l Guys and I sell them in my shop.

Tell us a little bit about yourself.
In addition to being a quilter for nearly 30 years, I am a pastor of a small, rural congregation in northern, NJ. I am a wife and a mother. My son has a rare disability so I am active in the world of disability awareness. In fact, my church has two disability ministries, a youth group for the specially-abled and a respite program for families of little ones with Autism and other severe disabilities.
I love the way the pieces of my life all blend together and make things rich and interesting. Just like quilting!

How long have you been a member of the Quiltsy Team?
I am tremendously grateful to be a member of the Etsy Quiltsy Team for more than 5 years. In addition to promoting each others' listings, we have become virtual friends who share our joys and sorrows and lift one another up through the trials of e-commerce and the tribulations of life.


What is your favorite thing to make in your Etsy Shop?
Over the course of selling on Etsy since June 2009, I have learned that my simple Classic Americana patchwork quilts, based on the traditional 9-patch quilting block is my favorite to make. At the end of each day I go to my sewing studio and pull out a box of 5" squares in the right colors and make 15-20 blocks. It's very calming. And, it helps me get ready together a Classic Americana quilt when the orders come in!

Written by Pam Geisel of For Quilts Sake, Quiltsy Team member since Dec 2007.
Blog  

9 comments:

JM in Toronto said...

Sweet blankets, Beverly, going to a great cause.

Chris V said...

Another wonderful story and charity to support!

lynndalou said...

Awesome work!

Homesewn said...

Cute blankets to a wonderful cause !

Unknown said...

It's funny how life just seems to hand you the things you're supposed to do sometimes. Sounds like a worthy organization. Definitely a need to be filled.

Pamela said...

That's a great charity, I should use some of my scrap flannel to do this for ours! Thanks, Beverly!

Kathy Kinsella said...

Such lovely quilts and a wonderful charity to support.

Lauren said...

Adorable flannel blankets and an important charity to support. Thank you Beverly!

Sally said...

Great cause Beverly. Your community is so lucky to have you and group making baby quilts for them.

Pamela great blog today! Thanks for doing this!